Saturday, July 20, 2013

Lumen by Joseph Eastwood Blog Tour!


Welcome to day two of Joseph Eastwood's Blog Tour leading up to the cover reveal for Lumen! In this post, we get to ask our favorite YA author his Top 10 Fantasy Books/Series! Ready? Let's go!


It was originally going to be just books, until I realised that most of my favourites are actually part of a series. As a fantasy author, I love to read fantasy and see what other writers are putting out there, partly because I love the genre, and another part is so that I can get a feel for a how other authors build their fantasy worlds.

I feel, looking back on the list that I’m lacking in indie authors as they’re all traditionally published and quite mainstream.

10. The House of Night novels by P.C & Kristen Cast
This series is my guilty pleasure of fantasy books. I’ve only read the first five, because after that everything started to get really silly, and I found myself rolling my eyes. But, I did love it, and I know that I shouldn’t. Do you have a guilty pleasure book?

9. The Study Series by Maria V. Snyder
These alongside number 8 on the list, have been some of the books that I have gone to sleep dreaming about, and the way in which these authors have crafted their worlds has been something that I aspire to be able to do.

8. The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan
I bought the first book in this trilogy at a high school book sale thingy, and I remember sitting on the landing outside my bedroom (because I didn’t have a light in my room) and I would sit out there for a good couple of hours every night reading through this one book. I absolutely loved this series, as well as her other series. (She writes very thick book… very thick!)

7. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Before this book I’d never read anything about angels or nephilim, or any kind of religious-based fantasy book, and I loved it. I found myself reacting like a typical teenage girl… and I was around 17 at the time, and I was there squealing in attraction for bad boy Patch, and all the plot twists and turns. So, it definitely earned its spot on my list.

6. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Again, I’ve not read anything with a religious-base already set, but, I guess it can work to the advantage of the reader as growing up, you learn about different religions, and I was always interested in Greek mythology, and after reading this book, I was absorbed and wanted to learn more… unfortunately, I didn’t, but I have a couple more from the series on my to-read list.

5. The Saga of Darren Shan by Darren Shan
I never wanted to read this series in the beginning because he’d written his name into his books, and I felt that was silly, but getting over that, I realised that these were amazing, and I read the whole sage within a month. I loved how unique everything in the books were, definitely magical feeling when that happens.

4. Eragon by Christopher Paolini
Dragons… oh my dragons! One of my favourite fantasy books, and loving dragons doesn’t go amiss. I’ve never tried to write about dragons, but I love to read books about them. Also, the author was a huge inspiration as he was published at a young age.

3. The Spook’s Apprentice by Joseph Delany
After meeting the author when I was 11 or 12 on a school trip, I bought his first two books, both signed, and I read them immediately. It’s when I first started to tell people that I wanted to be a writer and write books like him, and my teachers encouraged it.

2. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
I think this is an essential to any fantasy book lovers reading diet. From the characters to the world building, this book, and his other books are amazing.

1. The Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling
Growing up with these books and the films, it’s hard not to put the whole series at number one. I can re-read and re-watch any of them, and I’m still always excited, and I still always find something that I didn’t realise or pick-up on before.


There you have it. That’s my top ten fantasy books/series. If you have a top ten list of your own, don’t forget to leave it in the comments section below!


Thank you for joining myself and the host of this wonderful blog to celebrate the re-release of Lumen! So, if it’s not already on your Goodreads to-read list, you should go put it on: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13219801-lumen
Oh, and this blog post is not the only one. If you want more information, don’t forget to log on to Facebook and hit JOIN on the event… what, what event? This one: https://www.facebook.com/events/1374352692785255/ I hope to see you there! And don’t forget about the other blogs on this tour for more exclusive content!

About the Author



JOSEPH EASTWOOD, born 9th June 1993, Lancaster, England, has always been adamant in his dreams of being a published author. Although he has been through the stages of wanting to be in every other profession under the sun, and what better way to live out all of those professions than to be an author and create people with them.







Links to Stalk Me!
Twitter: @Joe_Eastwood - https://twitter.com/Joe_Eastwood
That’s a whole bunch of stalking you can do… please, only in moderation.


You can find the next stop for Joseph's tour below, but don't forget to join the event on Facebook!  https://www.facebook.com/events/1374352692785255/
Happy Reading!



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for hosting me, JD! I'll get around to sharing later... just catching up on what I should have done yesterday! Aha :D

    ReplyDelete